St Nicholas Church stands at the eastern end of Great Wakering High Street, South East Essex. The church stands only 18 feet above sea level, but this was sufficient to protect it from the 1953 floods, when water swept over the village common but stayed about a hundred yards from the building.


The Nave and Chancel of St Nicholas Church were built in 1100, and the lower part of the Tower in 1130. The upper part of the Tower was completed towards the end of the 12th century. The Spire was added in the 14th century.


The Roof is tiled and the Spire is boarded.



Apart from the Victorian Lady Chapel, the church is built of roughly coursed ragstone rubble, some septaria, flint and Roman tile. The corner dressings are of Reigate and other limestone (left).


On the north wall, below a 15th century window, is a smaller window opening dating from the 12th century (right). This window opening is partially blocked up and fitted with a 16th century window.


There is a blocked door in the north wall.











The church is surrounded by the churchyard (left), which is managed and maintained by the Great Wakering Parish Council. The parish burial ground is adjacent to the churchyard.








The information about the church was compiled by Mr GB Spencer, Mrs JA Plaister and Mrs GM Rawlinson from a variety of historical sources, including the church records and the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments in Essex.


Photographs by Ron Parr and Lynn Parr

 

FRIENDS OF ST NICHOLAS GREAT WAKERING

ABOUT  CHURCH  VILLAGE  EVENTS  FUNDRAISING  JOIN  LINKS

St Nicholas Church